June 24, 2011

Yarn: GarnStudio Drops Alpaca - 100% Alpaca, in blue/turquoise mix

Needles: 3 mm / 2.5 US

Gauge: 6 stitches and 7 rows per inch

Stitch Pattern: Diagonal Fern Lace

Source: BW1, p. 211.

Comments: I am quickly losing my appreciation for Alpaca.  The long (guard?) hairs that come off the knitted fabric drive me crazy (mostly because they make a garment look old and worn out well before its time!) and I'm not entirely sure that the prickly feeling I get in my fingertips and on the backs of my hands as I knit aren't actually a developing allergy to the stuff (I'm staying in denial on that factor, because sometimes you can't not knit with alpaca).   Part of the problem may be that many of my alpaca yarns are heathered and/or variegated in some way, which further detracts from the stitch definition.  I will have to dig out my off-white alpaca, and see how it looks knit up on a very small needle!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment